Saturday, June 6, 2015

Module 3 Assignment 2

Colleges and universities use different types of online learning technology as a resource to teach and communicate with students. Teachers and students alike must be able to navigate through processing programs, spreadsheets, even presentation programs.  The online learning technology resources available at my local Community College are: Blackboard, synergy, web conferencing, media library, LinkedIn, smart boards, and blogs.  Others include resources such as live chat with advisors, and social media applications.
The basic knowledge and Microsoft Office skills acquired was easily transferable to other software programs, including Google Drive, importing, exporting, and embedding web link functions.  Social media such as Facebook and Twitters has also proven to be a worthwhile resource investment for my institution. Synergy is a powerful grade-book and learning management interface where educators house everything in one place, the curriculum, content resources, student work, assessments, performance data, and more.
Many educators at my institution use synergy. However, I do not even though I have considered it.  I’m not comfortable using synergy for teaching and learning because I lack the confidence and experience. I plan to enroll in a synergy course this summer.  The course is being offered July, 2015 to professionals for development. I will use the knowledge learned to bring everything I need together to teach and provide my students with support and a collection of resources.
More adults are returning to college to obtain certifications, or to advance in current employment (Xu & Jaggars, 2013).  Online learning resources are convenient and accessible. However, learning online can have a significant negative relationship to both course persistence and course grade (Xu & Jaggars, 2013).  This may be due to the lack of or limited free resource support available online.   As a result, I would recommend free forms of online resource support to minimize this problem at my institution. A series of free videos or podcast on a topic, including training, that offers an additional supply of assistance that is outside or in addition to the scope of the course syllabus.

Xu, D., & Jaggars, S. S. (2013). Adaptability to Online Learning: Differences across Types of Students and Academic Subject Areas. CCRC Working Paper No. 54. Community College Research Center, Columbia University.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Carole,
    I like your honesty.Our college uses Eagle online as our learning management system. I teach online classes, so I had to undergo the training for it. Trust me, the learning systems are easy to handle. Build up your confidence and you will be fine.
    Here is a website that you can start with:
    http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sumi for the resource. I went to the website and took the virtual tour. You are correct it seems like the learning system is easy to handle. But, as with all my professional development tasks, its easier said than done. I will keep you updated as I pursuit this journey. Thanks again for sharing.

      Carole

      Delete
  2. Hi Carole,
    I am not familiar with Synergy either. At least you can recognize that you need training on it and take the initiative to register for the training. There are educators that are very reluctant to do that. Seems like you are on the right path. Good luck with the course and navigating through it.
    Jaime

    ReplyDelete