Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Module 4

The technology I chose to enhance lessons in my classroom is fake book, not face book. Fake book is a program almost exactly like face book, but it is a learning social platform media.  My students have exceptionalities. Therefore, the idea is for them to watch/read literature scenarios. Then create a fake book account of the characters and their perception of the characters. Instructions and assignments would require each student to complete the tasks and assignments associated with the lesson.
The benefit of fake book is that students enjoy being part of the current trends of social networking and society. They have the opportunity to actively engage in the learning process (Garrett, 2011).  Similarly, Fake book enable students to collaborate, communicate, share and exchange comments. However, there are challenges when engaging students with exceptionalities in technology. Each student has varying abilities thus requiring additional technological devices for support. These devices are not always compatible, convenient, or simple to use.  As a result, I have to improvise and attain other means to include the student, such as interacting with personal assistants.
To further engage students, we discuss tasks, share ideas, and include links to work together in groups. This also means collaborating with others outside the learning environment. My students are not passively receiving information as experience or wisdom. Online virtual learning allows my students to make their own experience, It is a great way to empower students to actively exchange (engage) their ideas and concepts (Garrett, 2011).
Personally, I thought I knew all about blogging. However, I had to re-familiarize myself (my challenge) with how to create a blog, set it up for viewing and comments. As a teacher in a post secondary work/training program for special needs students, the benefit of Fake Books provides me the platform to communicate with my students.  Fake Book is also a technology tool that qualifies as Universally Designed (UD) instructions recognizes that individual learning patterns differ (Borgemenke, Holt, & Fish, 2013). Fake Book accommodates varying abilities.

Garrett, C. (2011). Defining, detecting, and promoting student engagement in college learning environments. Transformative Dialogues: Teaching and Learning Journal, 5(2), 1–12.

Borgemenke, A. J., Holt, W. C., & Fish, W. W. (2013). Universal course shell template design and implementation to enhance student outcomes in online coursework. Quarterly Review of Distance Education, 14(1), 17-23.

6 comments:

  1. Never heard of fake book! My God it is hard to keep up with technology. Will try fake book next semester

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carole, I have never heard of Fake Book either. It does look just like Facebook and would be very appealing to students today. This would be a great platform for you to use with your students while keeping off the actual social media site. I like the idea of using Facebook for class, however don't like the security isues that come along with it. I don't believe in communicating with students on any type of social media expecially one I use personally, so this would be a great option.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of FakeBook, I will definitely look into it. This reminds me of our module's scenarios. I believe that not everyone is familiar with LMSs, but social media is all over the place. Apparently, many people believe that FaceBook is for older tech savvy people, and younger people use SnapChat, Twitter, Instagram. Regardless, having familiar platform but incorporating learning via microblogging is instantaneous. This means engagement, understanding, discussions, maybe even disagreement for the sake of learning. Twitter engagement by students and faculty was shown to have a significant impact on grade enhancement (Junco, Heiberger, & Loken, 2011).

    References

    Junco, R., Heiberger, G., & Loken, E. (2011). The effect of Twitter on college student
    engagement and grades. Journal of computer assisted learning, 27(2), 119-132. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2729.2010.00387.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shivanie,

      Yes, FakeBook is real. I actually looks like Facebook and me and my students enjoy using it. Most if not all my students are familiar with it. In addition, it saves time on teaching how to use it. The students also have the opportunity to create and share learning experiences. Hope you find it worth your while.

      Delete
  4. Since I never heard of FakeBooK, I googled it. I found that there is a FakeBook, looks like FaceBook, can be used as class tool. Another one is the definition of FakeBook, a collection of musical lead sheets intended to help a performer quickly learn new songs. The other one is FakeBook Friends, users post hoax photo, fake story, and lies on it to entertain others. These social medias are interesting, but I will have study them thoroughly before using them in my discipline. Thanks for the information!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I feel like I brought something new to the table. Thanks for sharing your comments!

    ReplyDelete