Saturday, June 6, 2015

Module 2 Assignment 2

I employ a variety of media and formats to communicate information and ideas to multiple audiences.  There are at least five classroom technology resources that are available as resources: webinars, multimedia, e-books, grammarly, and web-based pedagogy games. Although I am familiar with most of them, I do not have sufficient experience teaching or learning with webinars.  I have attended and participated in webinars. To accomplish the task of integrating webinars as a teaching and learning resource my skills need to be developed. I have considered working or collaborating with other faculty members in the IT department for instructions.
My institution also offers professional development opportunities once every quarter.  The professional development courses differ each quarter, meaning the same course is not always offered every quarter. Besides, I don’t have the time to attend the professional development.  Another option is a student-driven lesson, such as a text document or a You-tube video illustration of the step-by-step instructions on how to create webinars.  These are merely starting points and ideas. These are some ideas for me because I really want to learn more about technology and want to extend my skills further and across disciplines.
To improve support of classroom technology, I would recommend multiple sensory avenues.  Providing full academic access to students and not offer them the opportunity to maximize their learning from the instructions through multiple sensory avenues, and a variety of abstract and concrete frameworks, has no significant benefit to students according to Dr. Tony Bate (Laureate Education, 2013b).  Diverse student population suggests different teaching strategies in the classroom (Almeida & Mendes, 2010).  To accommodate the multiple sensory avenues (Video, audio, text) Dr. Bates suggested abstract to concrete teaching because it enables knowledge to be spread permanently.
Reference
Almeida, P., & Mendes, R. (2010). Learning style preferences across disciplines. International Journal Of Diversity In Organizations, Communities & Nations, 10(2), 285-302.
Laureate Education (Producer). (2013b). Dr. Tony Bates: Evaluating technology for teaching and learning [Video file]. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu

Higher Education Compliance Alliance. (n.d.). Americans with Disabilities Act & Section 504. Retrieved from http://www.higheredcompliance.org/resources/disabilities-accommodations.html

1 comment:

  1. There are lots of apps for ebooks. I currently use Overdrive, there are also ones that you can write on like PDF readers like Adobe. iPads come with iBooks. Kindle also tends to be a popular one that can be downloaded on smart devices. What I do like is that libraries have ebooks that are always available so you don't borrow them, you have them. This is good for teaching with classical writings. My library has these, and I would say people can just go onto the local library's website and check it out. Like the multimedia learning theory, I like using techniques that stimulate more than one sense. I would say limit the YouTube lecture formats, like Khan Academy, to a few minutes. Maybe illustrate a few problems, rather than reiterate some long, maybe monotonous lecture.

    ReplyDelete