Thursday, May 7, 2015

Module 1 Assignment 2




Hello everyone.  My name is Carole Woodard. I reside in Chesapeake Virginia for 20 years by way of Chicago Illinois.   I became interested in education after establishing a 10 year community base organization and leadership program for high risk youth in Virginia Beach.  In addition, the program expanded to tutoring adults in GED programs.   Liberation is at the heart of my life’s work. I am a public middle school special education teacher for 8 years.  I also tutored for two years online to rising special education teachers pursuing careers in pre-k through grade eight.  Prior to my career in education, I was a Para-legal for 20 years in corporate America. I obtained a B.S in Human Resource Management in 2009 with Kaplan University, and M.Ed. in Special Education in 2012 at Cambridge College.  My current field of study is College teaching and learning in adult education. My goal for this course is to utilize all the knowledge and skill to successfully complete this course. Then have the ability to pass the new knowledge and skill onto my students for them to use in their personal and professional lives.










3 comments:

  1. Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I employ a variety of media and formats to communicate information and ideas to multiple audiences. There are at least five classroom technology resources that are available as resources: webinars, multimedia, e-books, grammarly, and web-based pedagogy games. Although I am familiar with most of them, I do not have sufficient experience teaching or learning with webinars. I have attended and participated in webinars. To accomplish the task of integrating webinars as a teaching and learning resource my skills need to be developed. I have considered working or collaborating with other faculty members in the IT department for instructions.
    My institution also offers professional development opportunities once every quarter. The professional development courses differ each quarter, meaning the same course is not always offered every quarter. Besides, I don’t have the time to attend the professional development. Another option is a student-driven lesson, such as a text document or a You-tube video illustration of the step-by-step instructions on how to create webinars. These are merely starting points and ideas. These are some ideas for me because I really want to learn more about technology and want to extend my skills further and across disciplines.
    To improve support of classroom technology, I would recommend multiple sensory avenues. Providing full academic access to students and not offer them the opportunity to maximize their learning from the instructions through multiple sensory avenues, and a variety of abstract and concrete frameworks, has no significant benefit to students according to Dr. Tony Bate (Laureate Education, 2013b). Diverse student population suggests different teaching strategies in the classroom (Almeida & Mendes, 2010). To accommodate the multiple sensory avenues (Video, audio, text) Dr. Bates suggested abstract to concrete teaching because it enables knowledge to be spread permanently.
    Reference
    Almeida, P., & Mendes, R. (2010). Learning style preferences across disciplines. International Journal Of Diversity In Organizations, Communities & Nations, 10(2), 285-302.
    Laureate Education (Producer). (2013b). Dr. Tony Bates: Evaluating technology for teaching and learning [Video file]. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu
    Higher Education Compliance Alliance. (n.d.). Americans with Disabilities Act & Section 504. Retrieved from http://www.higheredcompliance.org/resources/disabilities-accommodations.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finding time to complete professional development can be very difficult, especially with being in school while working full time and of course life. Below is a website to a company that specializes in providing professional development to teachers. The team members have all taught before so they understand the struggle. I also thought they might have some information for you on the use of webinars. Hope this helps!
    http://edtechteacher.org/

    ReplyDelete