Thursday, July 16, 2015

Module 6

In recent years, educators are increasingly employing online collaboration such as Edmodo and blogs for group projects and assignments. The contributions can lighten a teacher’s workload; provide time saving lesson plans, and flexibility in the teaching process.  The idea is to increase peer support, group and collaborative learning to enable low achievers to perform a collection of coordinated functions, tasks, and activities (Marchis, 2013).  Higher achievers would be able to share their voice and ideas for the benefit of group work.  Finally, all students will have the ability to participate in a more constructive and social learning environment. 

                Some of the course work would require that students complete group projects and providing feedback upon literature.  Research found that sociability and visibility are two human characteristics are significant in online engagement (Marchis, 2013). The software within Edmodo would expose students to stimulating educational environments when they are used by teachers who are skilled in their operation and who believe that the technology can foster different skills (Foley, 2012).  

                Access to resources like text, graphics, via internet, simulation experiences or type of applications would permit the learner to choose the work to obtain correct answers, including when learning is to be performed in an interactive or engaged manner (Dr. Tony Bates, 2013a).  Finally, teachers would have the ability to assess the student’s learning without establishing additional resources.  Assessments would be immediate and graded using multiple choice questions, writing rubrics, also E-portfolios of work that demonstrates mastery of contents. Student’s results could be emailed to the teacher for a final grade (Dr. Tony Bates, 2013a).   
                 
Reference

Foley, L. (2012). An investigation into the use of interactive whiteboards in VTOS centres in Munster.
Laureate Education (Producer). (2013e). Dr. Tony Bates: Using technology to engage students and assess learning [Video file]. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu


Marchis, I. (2013). Experiences of teaching educational software development for pre-service teachers. Paper presented at the , 1 190-195. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com/docview/1436956080?accountid=14872

7 comments:

  1. Carole,
    Nice job on your blog. Continue to add to this.
    Thank you.
    Dr. Kanai

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never used Edmodo, actually didn't know about many technologies until this course. I went onto the official website, Edmodo.com, and the first thing that jumped out was the secure teacher account. Now I did go on via my iPad, so I am happy to see that there is an app and mobile site. Apps for learning management systems tend to have limited features, so maybe Edmodo is a nice alternative. A simple Giogle search brought up that Edmodo was named as a top technology tool by Noodle. It seems like Edmodo is Facebook but secure, posts are deleted if need be, etc. I like this because I spend a lot of time on Facebook, and I find articles, images, and videos that are related to science, but I can't always share because there is unsavory comments, links, and other attached images. I will look into Edmodo for my next course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shivanie and thanks for your feedback.

    What I like most about edmodo is allows me to be the creator of what I want students to practice, know, and learn. I incorporate learning materials, videos, sometime images, including other learning resources and literature. Many times at the end of each topic exist an assessment where students can practice using the skills they learn prior to the final end of course exam.

    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the information. I used the Edmodo a few days for taking attendance in the year 2013. It has an impressive seating chart. But I had to stop using it because it took me too much time on calling the roll. It gave me the idea to design a seating chart that I can print it out for calling the roll in a few seconds. Perhaps I should learn the other functions of Edmodo and start to use it again for collaborative learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carole,
      In the classroom of the twenty-first century, both teacher and students must learn to navigate and evaluate an expanding network of educational technology. Highly effective teachers model this process of knowledge acquisition by continually learning through collaboration, professional development, and studying pedagogical techniques and best practices. If you had mentioned Edmodo to me three months ago I would not have known what you were talking about. Many educators have extended their learning by developing online professional learning networks. I have found out recently that many of the lecturers at my college collect information from various Web sites and access it in one organized area so they can efficiently stay up to date on the latest teaching strategies and changes in the field of education.
      I agree with you that Edmodo will expose students to stimulating educational environments when they are used by teachers who are skilled in their operation and who believe that the technology can foster different skills.

      Delete
  5. Hi Carole,
    I have been hearing that Edmodo is a good way to connect with students and it also safe. It helps in getting and staying organized and easy to access assignments. I am yet to implement it in my class

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carole,
    I agree with your statement “The software within Edmodo would expose students to stimulating educational environments when they are used by teachers who are skilled in their operation and who believe that the technology can foster different skills (Foley, 2012).” Teachers have to be skilled in using the technology for it to be an effective teaching strategy. With new technology being generated daily teachers have to find a method of staying up to date and knowledgeable about them. Unfortunately, I have seen many teachers not wanting to spend the time to stay up to date and want to keep using their old traditional methods. Kim

    ReplyDelete